Announcing the 2015 World Lemur Festival! Lemur fans worldwide are encouraged to hold events where they live to celebrate their love for lemurs, and spread the important message of conservation!
The World Lemur Festival will be celebrated in Madagascar from October 29-31, 2015. We encourage Lemur Lovers around the world to celebrate with us—whether it is on those specific days, or in the weeks surrounding them.
If you plan to hold an event, let us know! We will be posting a map of the worldwide events right here on the Lemur Conservation Network, and sharing your stories! #LemurFansUnited #LemurFansRock #LetsSaveLemurs!
Here are some ideas for how you can celebrate and spread the word!
Hold Lemur-Themed Events!
Organize Lemur Education Activities
- Hold a Lemur Conservation Day at your Local Zoo or Park (or encourage your zoo to do so)
- Give talks about lemurs at Schools, Museums, Community Centers (especially if you’re a scientist, or have traveled to Madagascar and can share photos!)
- Organize a lemur class or presentation at your children’s school
Lemur Education Inspiration
- Read Educator Corey Romberg’s post on the Lemur Conservation Day at Central Florida Zoo
- Learn about Teacher Robin Lee’s year of learning through lemurs and all of their activities
- See our teaching resources
Host a Lemur Happy Hour at a Local Bar or Restaurant
The Lemur Conservation Network has held two lemur happy hours in Washington, DC and will be holding a third the week of the World Lemur Festival! Our past events have raised over $1,250 for lemur conservation, with donations going to support our own work, as well as the great conservation work of Sadabe, Conservation Fusion, and Centre ValBio.
How do you raise money at a Lemur Happy Hour?
First, be sure to choose what charity you will be supporting before the event, so you can tell event goers all about them! People are more likely to donate if they know how great the organization is, and what their donations will support.
- Decorate a can for donations, and collect them throughout the night.
- Hold a raffle. Collect raffle items from local businesses, and sell raffle tickets at your event, with all proceeds going to your charity.
Arrange with the bar or restaurant for a drink special, with proceeds going to your charity.
- Arrange with the bar or restaurant for a percentage of sales from the night to benefit your charity.
Make the event educational and fun
- Make a lemur or Madagascar information sheet, so visitors can learn all about lemurs and why they are so awesome!
- Bring any photos or other Madagascar items you have so visitors can ooh and ahh.
- If the restaurant has a projector, make a slide show of lemur photos and information to be shown all night.
- Wear lemur t-shirts or costumes!
(Learn how to make a lemur costume here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vFCvYA2L84, or buy one here: http://www.amazon.com/Kigurumi-Cosplay-Costume-Pajamas-Onesies/dp/B00JKLKZHI)
Get the word out
You can’t raise any money or awareness if no one shows up, so be sure you get the word out to your local community about your event!
- Email local bloggers and encourage them to write a post about your event.
- Submit your event to online newspapers and event websites to be included in their event calendar.
- Send a message to Meetup and Facebook groups about conservation, animals, and zoos, so people in the group know about your event.
- Be sure to tell them who you are raising money for and that you are part of the World Lemur Festival, so they can get excited!
Raise Money for your Favorite Lemur Charity!
Pick a lemur organization, and then see how much money you can raise for them all week or month!
- Ask your friends and family for an early (or late) birthday gift
- Ask a local cafe if you can put a donation can at their cafe for the week (Be sure to leave an information sheet with it, so people know what they are supporting!)
- Join with your friends to symbolically adopt some lemurs!
- Fundraise online for a lemur organization
Wear Lemur-Themed Clothes all Week!
Buy the World Lemur Festival T-Shirt
» Buy a World Lemur Festival t-shirt or sweatshirt! All proceeds support the work of the Lemur Conservation Network. (This shirt was only available for a limited time, and is no longer available.)
Lemur Shops from our Members
- Lemur Love Store
- Lemur Love on CafePress
- Madagascar Fauna and Flora Group on CafePress
- Lemur Conservation Foundation Store
- Mike Matthews Tshirts to Benefit the Madagascar Fauna and Flora Group
Wear a Lemur Costume! (even to work, we won’t judge!)
- Learn how to make a lemur costume here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vFCvYA2L84
- Buy a lemur costume here: http://www.amazon.com/Kigurumi-Cosplay-Costume-Pajamas-Onesies/dp/B00JKLKZHI)
Post All Week on Social Media!
Dedicate a week of your social media posts to lemurs! Post cute photos, share interesting facts, link to articles about lemur conservation, and encourage your friends and followers to support lemur conservation by donating, volunteering, and traveling to Madagascar!
Use the hashtag #WorldLemurFestival all week and we’ll share your posts with other lemur fans all over the world!
Attend a Lemur Event
If you hear of an event in your area or know of an event that’s not listed, be sure to let us know!